At the core of our organisational goals and strategies is a focus on placing the client at the centre of everything that we do. Our cultural shift, behaviours and actions are driven by our intention to:
- make it as easy as possible to get things right, and hard not to
- understand and consider our clients’ circumstances and offer a fair and differentiated service
- treat all people with respect and dignity
- build trusted relationships
- be pragmatic and fair in our decisions
- give the right answer, in the right time and in the right way
- use our skills and expertise to help clients do the right thing.
Our approach is to deliver on community expectations by administering the tax and superannuation systems in a way that builds confidence and, thereby, inspires and drives willing participation.
The community expects that the tax and superannuation systems will collect the right amount of revenue, support other government programs, and be administered efficiently and with integrity.
Taxpayers and super fund members expect that the systems will be easy to use, operate fairly, and integrate with other government services in a way that minimises the need for people to understand the intricacies of government. The Taxpayers’ charter sets out what people can expect from us and the ATO is committed to following it in all our dealings with the community.
Government expects that the tax and superannuation systems will support whole-of-government programs and respond to priorities, including reducing compliance costs and the cost of collecting the revenue.
All stakeholders expect that their views and interests will be understood and their contribution to policy and administration valued by the ATO.